Sunday, May 30, 2010

Megan Loves.. Music Mondays!

I'm switching up my Monday routine, I think. I did an all music post once before, and I just really really love music, and I think incorporating it into my blog more will bring me a special dose of happiness, especially on Mondays, when happiness is hard to find. hah.
So, I'm thinking that each Monday I will post about new bands I've heard about or news from old bands we already love. (Or that I love, and hopefully you do too.) So without further adieu:

Megan Loves.. Music Mondays!
  • I will let you in on this little secret right off the bat, I get most of my music news from Absolutepunk.net these days. So, it is no surprise that it is that very website that brought me to the genius that is Jeremy Messersmith. That name is a mouthful, but I plan to be saying it a lot and singing his praises. He hails from Minneapolis, MN and makes music that I cannot stop listening to. If I had a soundtrack, it would be his newest album; The Reluctant Graveyard. Although I hate to make comparisons between artists, because I'm sure the artists themselves don't always appreciate it, on AbsolutePunk there is a mention of a Sufjan Stevens comparison, and I have to agree. So definitely, if you like Sufjan, you need to check this guy out!
  • I love to dance! And We Became Actors has some fun indie/pop music that I can definitely wiggle around like a crazy person to. This band is another new find for me this week, and I'm so excited! They have some great synth sounds, hands clapping, and groovy beats. This band also is from Minneapolis (Lucky city!), and their new album This Is Where We Stand will definitely be on rotation when I'm drivin around with the windows down.
  • Next is A Rocket to the Moon, which is a band you might have heard of. They're on Fueled by Ramen with some other greats, and they're super amazing! Although as far as I know they only have an EP, and now their first full length- On Your Side. I just gave a few songs a listen today, and I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. The song "Like We Used To" made me nearly cry because it's just so emotive. And oh dear do I love emotional music. haha. Not only do they have a great sound, but they're going on tour this fall with HANSON! And in case you don't pay attention to me, that is my favorite band. My tattoo is even a reference to them. Which brings me to my next bulletin:
  • HANSON!!! haha. In case you are a person who thinks they broke up after Mmmbop stopped being played on the radio, you are wrong. They have grown up, and brought their musical talent with them. Shout it Out is their 5th studio album, and oh my goodness, it's amazing. Fun, catchy, dancey ( I don't care if that's not a word. hah), and full of talent. Not only do I respect Hanson's music, I respect them as people. To me they represent what life should be about. They're living their dreams, having fun, but they are married, with children. And they use their name and spare time to give back. Their previous album, The Walk, was dedicated to helping AIDS victims in Africa, and they continue to do and give lots to the people who have been affected. So far their fall tour doesn't have any dates here in Texas, but I'm praying they add some in!

I'm going to leave you with their first video from Shout it Out for the song "Thinking 'Bout Somethin'". I promise it will bring a smile to your face. I dare you to NOT want to learn this dance. :]



Thinking 'Bout Somethin'

HANSON | MySpace Music Videos

No comments: